21 Dec Summer 2020 Newsletter
A quick note …
by Kristin Bayley – Clinical Director
To all our wonderful clients and families,
My social media feed is full of people who are only tooready and willing to say farewell to the year 2020. I can’t say I blame them. 2020 has been a roller-coaster ride, filled with so many ups and downs. I am very pleased to say that for TMB, it has been far more up than down. Here are just a few highlights:
- Successfully setting up and piloting telehealth programs across our client base
- Safely returning back to a full operations, including our popular group programs
- Our Awesome Adults group started in March and hasn’t looked back!
- Commencing the pilot of our internship program (which has been a huge success by all accounts!)
- Piloting our new group program for school readiness – Mission Launchpad (another success!)
- Partnership with North Ryde Community Preschool to provide early intervention services to preschoolers
- A fabulous two-day staff ‘Boot Camp’, attended by the whole team
- Delivered a program of invited online presentations with Speech Pathology Australia
- A record number of Secret Agents joining our ranks
- TMB’s first baby – Welcome Baby Felix!
On a more personal note, I am ecstatic to report that I completed my first year as senior lecturer, with our first cohort of 21 students successfully completing the ABA coursework at Griffith University. I am now looking forward to 2021, when our second cohort looks to be close to 70 students!!
On top of all of this, we are so proud of all of the achievements of each and every one of our clients. 2020 has seen many goals smashed, many smiles, and lots of dance parties. We would like to say thank you to each and every one of you for your patience, your understanding and your support through 2020. Thank you for your effort and tireless energy in advocating for your children. Thank you for the privilege of working alongside you.
Wishing you the happiest of holidays and a wonderful New Year!!
See you in 2021!
TMB’s new Internship Program
In October, TMB was excited to launch a new pilot program to offer a workplace experience opportunity for young adults. This program provides participants with the opportunity to practice employment skills such as: completing the application and interviewing process, following complex instructions, problem solving in the workplace, and developing work ethic. Our initial participant has already made fantastic progress and we are looking forward to supporting him when he seeks formal employment within our community. Great job, D!
Ideas to Keep the Family Entertained
Our wonderful Speech Pathologist, AJ, has come up with a holiday themed Scattegories game the whole family can play!
Each game of Scattergories consists of three rounds (Suggestions are below)
- Pass each player a folder, and clip the three lists inside in the order in which they will be played. (Make sure that all players have the same lists)
- Begin each round by picking a letter out of a hat or jar, and start the timer (egg timer, microwave or phones can work equally as well).
- Players attempt to create an answer that begins with the letter on the die for each of the categories on their list.
- Answers must begin with the letter on the paper. (Articles (A/An/The) do not fulfill the beginning letter requirement. Instead, the word following the article will be the letter that counts. For instance, if the letter was “W” and the category was “TV Shows,” The Walking Dead would count as an acceptable answer; however, the answer would be unacceptable if a “T” had been rolled)
New Years scattegories: Favourite thing from last year, new years resolution, favourite movie from 2020, favourite thing to do on new years, new thing you learned last year, party food, firework colour, favourite song from last year, party game, trick for staying up late.
Summer holiday scattegories: Something hot, place to go in the summer, cold food, something Australian, something found at the beach, something you need to go swimming, something you need when its hot, book to read in the holidays.
Christmas scattegories: Christmas song, something you can find at the north pole, a present, a kind thing to do for someone, a christmas food, a christmas ornament, reindeer or elf name, place you go to celebrate, a member of your family, a toy.
Each issue we will be recognising a special someone at TMB by highlighting something they’ve achieved.
Two little guys have graduated from our Mission Connect and Mission Launchpad programs, and are now ready for big school! These kiddos have been part of the TMB weekly groups and it’s been wonderful to be a part of their progression toward school. Find out more about our weekly group programs.
From all of us, to you and yours, we wish you a happy, healthy holiday season! Our team is taking a break for a couple of weeks and the clinic will be closed during that time. We are looking forward to seeing you in term 1 next year!
TMB Closure Dates
Close – Friday December 18th
Re-Open – Monday January 4th
May you all fly high and reach the stars!